Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy Birthday

Today is my birthday. I turned 60 years old today and 'know what? I don't care that I'm 60. I have a great life, I like my work, I have a great family (all of them brothers sister nieces, aunts, uncles nephews), good friends, and I have my health. Sure I have a few things wrong, but that is what comes from 60 years of experience.

Turning 39 bothered me- Turning 60 feels great. Even if the day did start a little slow.
I listened to the TV weather and Darin Rockcole said there was about 1-3 inches of snow. OK that's not too bad even if I do HATE driving in snow.

I walked out opened the door turned around and put on my boots (I think that was more than 3 inches)
The car doors were frozen shut. It took a few minutes, but I got them open and dropped my purse in the snow.
Started the car- cleaned off the window, started for work
Got half way there realized I had forgotten my phone, it is home on the charger., guess I better make sure I don't go into a snow bank and have to call a tow truck.
Also realized I have a small crack in the windshield that was not there when I cleaned off the window.
Country roads aren't too bad. M50 is a little snow covered but not bad.

Got into town. - went through McD's for a breakfast sandwich.
Stopped at a light, it turns gree I started my left turn and felt the car slip and slid so I took my foot off the gas, the mini-van behind me is so close I can't see the headlights.
Stop at the next light. A little pick-up in front of me tries to take off and throws snow so I slow down and back off, the mini- passes me on the right to turn on to I94.

Traffic on the Main downtown streets, Michigan and West is back up about 3 blocks.
I got to work OK. I'm really not going to let stupid drivers bother me. I don't care.

Had a great day. I am training a new reference librarian who is full of energy and fun and really excited about working in the library.

Found out that in India turning 60 signifies a new stage in your life, a stage of spirituality and introspection. In India, couple renew their wedding vows when the husband turns 60.

Most of the Administrative staff suprised me with lunch at the Olive garden, flowers and gifts.

All in all a very good day

January 9, 2009
After I posted this I remembered this poem that I think may become part of my philosophy

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in the slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


- Jenny Joseph (1961)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn. Let me know what you think.