Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Math story problems

It's snowing again, it took me twice as long to get home as usual. I wouldn't mind the snow so much if I didn't have to drive on it.

We, well the director, is writing a grant that involves teaching computer classes in low income neighbor hoods. He asked me to figure out a schedule for the classes, how many we would have to offer etc.

So here are the figures.
450 people need to take classes,
9 computers in the traveling lab.
Classes are 2-2.5 hours long and there are 9 sessions for each class.
18 months to complete the project

The director had worked on the grant writing for so long that he was no help by then, and didn't want to see it until our meeting tomorrow morning.

So I sat there staring at my computer. My brain had turned to mush. I couldn't even figure out what it was we wanted to know.

So I called a co-worker from down the hall the IT person. She took one look at and said I never could do story problem. I need a white board or something.

So we went to the conference room and called in her assistant.

He said, "the train arrives in Chicago at 11:30." Then he said he was going to call his pre-algebra teacher. By this time I had gotten the giggles.

Then the administrative secretary came in with a pad and paper.
The HR Administrator came in with a calculator.

The director told him we might need some help.

I told them the figures, They looked at them, and said it will take 5 years to do all of those classes. It has really been nice working with you.

OK so before I tell you the answer, how many classes do I have to offer to teach 450 people in 18 months?

No cheating. Don't look until you at least try to figure it out.















Have you figured it out? No peeking!!!



















I mean it no peeking!!!!!!













OK so0000

Our target audience is 450 people.
Number of weeks to complete the project 18 months x 4 weeks per month= 72 weeks.
Number of weeks in each series of classes = 9
Number of series we can run = 72 weeks/9 = 8 series
450 people/ 8 series groups = 56.2 people in each group
56.2 people /9 computers = 6.24 sessions per week.

Very good.

2.5 hours per class session +2.0 hours of set up = 0.5 hours of travel + 5 hours per session

5 hours per session x 6.24 sessions a week = 31.2 hours a week.

Great!!!! - Good job

1 comment:

  1. See Joyce? I even tell my kids that they don't need to know how to solve story problems because they won't use that information in the real world. Welcome to the real world! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn. Let me know what you think.