Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cucumber Canoes

Something came up last week at a meeting, that nobody else had heard of, I (we) must have had a strange childhood.

A friend said that she must have missed a cucumber when she was picking them from her garden the other day because she found a really really big, one when she was picking them.

I said when I was a kid; we used to take those, cut them in half lengthwise, and hollow them out and float them in the tub, as canoes, for toys.

Nobody else had heard of that, they thought it was one of the funniest things they had ever heard.

Ok, so does anybody else remember any of that?

That makes me think of:

-playing in the yard and making houses in the corn crib, or under the picnic table.

-homemade pies, sprinkling sugar on the dough trimmings and baking it. Yum.

-It also makes me think of picking and cleaning peas, green beans, strawberries pitting cherries, and cutting corn of the cob -Yuck.

But- Eating fresh jam and jelly Yum.

-going barefoot all summer and being able to walk in the gravel without it hurting by July.

OK, your turn what does that make you remember? Make a comment.

6 comments:

  1. I never, ever once put my GI Joes in a cucumber boat. Never heard of such a thing in my life. Sounds pretty funny though. A little before my generation I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah everyone I have talked to thought it was pretty funny too. Ask your mother-in-law if she remembers it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't remember the cucumber deals but I do remember my cousin Joyce making us play outside when it was 150F, riding bikes to the Liberty General Store, Mr. Misty's at Brooklyn DQ, sneaking into Aunt Marjorie's green-carpeted-two-step-sunken livingroom, my bell-bottom Coca Cola pants (photo made while I was in the off-limit livingroom), my bike with the big sissy bar and banana seat, playing with kids in the neighborhood even when you didn't know them, running in the corn fields while the stalks whipped your face, Van's, Weatherwax's, the sign that say's "Robert's Groceries" that's still there but very faded, and playing in East Liberty's cemeteries at night with my siblings...I'll stop for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yeah that Joyce was really mean!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do remember the cucumber, or zucchini boats. But we didn't have Nintendos or x-boxes or even computers (good gosh I'm old!). I was just talking last week about our "sand" box that was really dirt but we built roads and rivers and tunnels and got really dirty. And hanging upside down on the swing set and putting on a swingset "circus." It was fun growing up in the olden days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Yeah and our sandbox was right under the wild (choke) cherry tree that stand our clothes. We built good stuff in that "sand" box, it made better mud than "real sand"
    Great swing set circus.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn. Let me know what you think.